Blatant Lies

All about the sixth episode of The Last Door. Reveal secrets, ask for hints, or share any topic relevant to the chapter you may have found elsewhere.

Blatant Lies

Postby Dangeresque » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:48 pm

I've been waiting for Season Two Episode 1 to come out for months, and you said it would be free to play for registered users by April 7th. It's April 18th, and now every episode but the first is purchase-only (these episodes used to be free and still are on other sites). What the hell? I know you have to make money but what gives? I love your work but hate your recent business practices.
Cheers,
Dangeresque
Dangeresque

Re: Blatant Lies

Postby UserName_4022 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:07 pm

It's free for Premium users - i.e. those who donated 15 euros or more (I think that's the figure) towards the game in the past.
UserName_4022

Postby Aard » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:59 am

They did announce a complete change in their business model due to severe financial problems. Besides, they don't really ask for that much, really.

What the hell? I know you have to make money but what gives?

Yeah, exactly that gives. They need to make money. Otherwise there won't be anything for you to play at all.
Aard

Postby Dangeresque » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:32 am

I guess I just made the crazy assumption that "free to play" meant "free to play".
Dangeresque

Postby Wolf14 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:11 am

It was free to play. Now the business model has changed because the team cannot keep up without more purchases being made. You either pay a little to enjoy the game or there won't be any game at all.
Wolf14 (Chris)
Wolf14

Postby Led » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:02 am

Because paying a very small amount of money just ins't an option at all
Led

Postby DAISHI » Mon May 04, 2015 3:38 am

The entitlement here is ridiculous.
DAISHI

Postby FrenchyEve » Mon May 11, 2015 5:34 am

apparently you love their work but couldn't be bothered to donate 15$ over time for the development of them (otherwise you would have the access)

that's precisely why they had to change their business model so they could survive... :roll:
FrenchyEve

Postby publicly_visible » Thu May 19, 2016 6:46 pm

I think there are several problems here:
  • The game did not sell as well as was expected; in large part because…
  • There are now many indie games, including a lot of horror, pixel-art games
  • The game started out F2P and then suddenly changed because…
  • Most players naturally did not constantly check to see updates every day
  • F2P players were willing to wait, so the change was disappointing
  • Terminology like “free for premium (read donating) players” is bad
That last point is particularly bad because it comes off as deceptive, both to players and to tax agencies, even if that was not the intent. Plus, it over-complicates things unnecessarily. They (and everyone else) should simplify and just say “this stuff is free”, and “that stuff is for sale”. Cleanly demarcate what is what.

Shame the game did not sell as well and that they decided to wrap it up because of that (though it certainly makes it easier to consume the whole experience once rather than on an indefinite, ongoing basis).

The best value (for players) is to buy the GoG Dual-Pack Collector’s Editions (which contains both S1 and S2). That way, you get a nice, clean, continuous, self-contained horror-gaming experience of the whole series (bugs notwithstanding). It is not too much, and there are often GoG sales, so you can really get a good deal. Even better, by spreading the word, others will get it as well and maybe TGK will be able to make other games like TLD in the future.
publicly_visible

Return to Season Two - Episode 2: "My Dearest Visitor"