Question about the end (major spoilers)

All about the sixth episode of The Last Door. Reveal secrets, ask for hints, or share any topic relevant to the chapter you may have found elsewhere.

Re: Question about the end (major spoilers)

Postby iamOTHER » Sat May 09, 2015 12:10 pm

These theories have helped explain parts of the whole story very well. I must say the ending left me somewhat horrified and drastically confused - although that's probably just me being incredibly thick!
iamOTHER

Postby Coralio » Sun May 17, 2015 5:02 am

Okay so here is my theory...

The creature is Hugo Ashdown, having returned from the other side of the veil, and turned into a monstrosity... However, he might be mad, but he's not entirely a monster, as he was passing his time playing the piano (he still understands beauty), and enjoying the free air of the ocean coast, where the old fisherman had seen him, and was horrified.
As Wakefield approaches, Hugo flees the piano, probably to hide his monstrous form from a human visitor.

I do not believe he intends to harm Wakefield at all. If I think about established horror tropes, in the next episode we'll probably find Wakefield in a hospital, having been found carefully laid down on the shore, passed out in shock.

Also, Hugo Ashdown is a monstrosity, but he's not "the abomination" that "waits". In trance, the Professor was talking about "a thing playing the piano", and "its face...", and might have been shocked by it, but it didn't fill him with dread. What did fill him with dread was beyond the piano and its monstrous player, in a deep pit.
Maybe Hugo has decided to reveal his horrifying form to Wakefield because he needed to save Wakefield from something much worse than himself.
Coralio

Postby Wolf14 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:01 pm

@Coralio,

God, this is my favourite theory so far. Your theory follows my thoughts exactly but adds a whole new level of depth. That would be an amazing start to the next chapter.

Although... perhaps things aren't as they seem... :twisted:
Wolf14 (Chris)
Wolf14

Postby avec » Wed May 20, 2015 4:07 am

Coralio wrote:he might be mad, but he's not entirely a monster, as he was passing his time playing the piano (he still understands beauty)

I'm not an expert, but piano melody does sound like it could be played with one hand. Perhaps even a giant monster hand.
avec

Postby corvus-coraxt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:08 pm

I think this theory makes sense, especially considering that the piano music in the Chapter Six soundtrack is titled 'The Waltz of H-A', implying that he may have been the one playing it.
corvus-coraxt

Postby Jussara » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:37 am

Oh, dear! You guys must be correct! The "monster" is Hugo Ashdown... especially because Wakefield has to survive to the next chapter :P
Jussara

Postby publicly_visible » Thu May 19, 2016 6:03 pm

UserName_4022 wrote:I didn't think an abomination was necessarily required to induce primal terror in Wright's initial subject. Wright himself (or was it the mystery guy he was talking to?) said in that sofa flashback that the requirement was a fear of what could be lurking in the dark... being near that archway, having their adrenaline already at max and then being startled even slightly would be enough to do the trick. I imagine the abomination passed through from the Void when the Last Door was initially opened and had been lurking in the underground tunnels ever since (hence the measures Wright took, as per his notes, to contain the creature).

Yup, this ↑.

It was only stated that terror is required; nothing was said about what the cause of that terror need be.
publicly_visible

Previous

Return to Season Two - Episode 2: "My Dearest Visitor"