1891?

Open dialog between players and developers to decide what’s next for The Last Door. Participate and help us shape the upcoming chapters of the game.

1891?

Postby Iurii » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:40 pm

First of all, thank you very much for this game!
Despite of its graphics, it feels very intriguing and has sinister atmosphere and great plot!

I especially like the nearly authentic Victorian setting. However, I am curious why is the game dated as 1891? It is quite difficult to keep up with all the realism while recreating a specifit period of time, you know.

In particular, I noted at least two little anachronisms - I hope the authors won't be offended with my criticism.

First, there is literally no way a sound device playing slate disc records could be present in 1891 in two different English mansions. Gramophone was invented in 1887, but it had not been in commercial production until about 1894, and those early models were manually operated - so you had to turn the handle by yourself for the music to be played. Anthony could rather have a phonograph in his home, a machine that used cylinders instead of discs - but the record of 'Carnival of Venice' does not look like one. Indeed, it resembles rather LP records of the middle of the 20th c., as even in 1910's there were no such covers for records, they came a little bit later...

And second, concerning psychological practices. I doubt that In 1891 some doctors (like Kauffmann or Wakefiled in the game) could use such methods as talking with patients about their past problems and making them sleep so they would remember something. It was Dr. S.Freud from Vienna who invented those new ways of treatment - but that was still somewhat later, after his work 'Die Traumdeutung' on analysing the dreams was published in 1900.

Again, thanks for the game, and sorry for being picky :)
Iurii

Re: 1891?

Postby tgk_mat » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:36 am

Hi Iurii!

Thanks for your comment, I'm glad you like the game : )

We decided to set the game in a specific time to give it a diary (or letter) vibe, of the like of novels such as Bram Stoker's Dracula. The date of 1891 allows us for a fully Victorian story, but close enough to the end of the century to allow a bit of more familiar modernity. It is true though, that being so specific comes with additional difficulties for setting an appropiately realistic imitation of the British Victorian world. We try to keep it non-anachronistic to our best, but sometimes need to take some "artistic licences" to enhance the experience as a whole.

For example, we did originally make The Carnival of Venice in cillinder form, but found that it added an unneeded difficulty for the players to understand what it was. We needed to explain both that the wax cyllinder was a device to store music and that it contained that particular song, and we needed to do so with huge pixels and little text. So for the sake of simplicity, we used an LP-like record in a sleeve, an object most of our players were already familiar with.
tgk_mat

Postby MasterMarkus » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:28 am

I don't mean any offense, but I feel that you could've had Jeremiah explain what the cylinder is when he picks it up, and it would have worked fine. Sure, someone might have to look up the specifics of it, but with a simple description they could understand "if put in a machine, it plays music".
MasterMarkus

Postby TGK_RDM » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:41 am

Hi MasterMarkus!

No offense at all! :)

Actually, we appreciate and welcome all sort of feedbacks and ideas in order to improve the overall experience of the game. Thus, may be you are right and using cylinders could have worked out fine and we had kept the historical consistency. We take a note of that!

Thanks for that mates!

Cheers,

RD
TGK_RDM

Return to Feedback & Suggestions