SPOILER! Simurg The Bird King-Main antagonist of the series?

All about the third chapter of The Last Door. Reveal secrets, ask for hints, or share any topic relevant to the chapter you may have found elsewhere.

SPOILER! Simurg The Bird King-Main antagonist of the series?

Postby nhutphamlq » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:41 am

SPOILER ALERT (IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED CHAPTER 3)
Well, according to Wikipedia, Simurg is "a benevolent, mythical flying creature" in Persian culture. The Persian epic "The conference of the birds" tells about a group of different kinds of birds on a quest to find Sigmur. In the Four Witness, the man in the bookshop confirms that Sigmur is the bird king. Before that, the violinist that Devitt met, if I am not mistaken, says that the crows are searching for Sigmur. Moreover, in the book that the man in red read, there were references to places like Bengala (Bengal in real life?) and Baleshwar. These places are in India. All the evidence points to South Asian legends and folk tales. I'm wondering if The Game Kitchen drew their inspiration from these sources and made Sigmur the main antagonist. That would be interesting b/c in the Persian legends, Sigmur is a benevolent and revered creature. It's not a villain. So this is very interesting.

P/S: In the Conference of the Birds, at the end of the quest, the birds didn't find Sigmur. Instead, they found a lake that reflected their image. It's like in Kungfu Panda, when Po realizes that there's nothing but his reflection in the legendary Kungfu techniques scroll.
You can check what I said in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simurgh
nhutphamlq

Re: Simurg - The Bird King - Main antagonist of the series?

Postby byucesoy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:22 pm

I think Game Kitchen's interpretation of the Simurg is similar to eastern cultures. We did not know yet Simurg is villainor not. However, I think it is not a vilian, since Alexandre says something like "The Bird protects us" and implies that The Bird was the one who saved Devitt from the coffin. But overall, I'm not sure. I guess we'll learn it in the future.
byucesoy

Postby James London » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Interesting interpretation, but I'm not sure this would be Simurg. Or at least, it in a form that would be remotely recognizable IRL. Though the connections you bring up are interesting.

That said, regarding the locations they bring up, Simurg is a figure in Persian mythology. The locations given there were in Bengal, which is in what's now India and Bangladesh. While I know we tend to group them all together under "South Asian" or what have you, the distance between Bengal and Persia is massive, both culturally and literally.

While there has been the occasional diffusion of Persian influence into the Indian subcontinent, it's usually been somewhat limited, and usually in the Gangetic Plateau. That's hundreds of miles away from Bengal, and the demographics in there tend to be vastly different from the Gangetic Plateau, nevermind Persia.

And finally, Alexandre is the only person to have referenced or displayed it as just "The Bird". Every other reference to it- from Montsignor, from the symbols affiliated with it, from our physical sights of it- have pointed to "The Eye of the Bird" like it was one entity.

But above all, while I agree that "The Bird" helped Dewitt out, I don't think it is benevolent at all. "Malum in Se." Evil in Itself. That and the things that appear associated with it seem to indicate it isn't very nice.

To the extent we can even graph eldritch abominations on "niceness", "evil", or other human concepts.
James London

Postby fridtwolfe » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:30 am

Interesting, I hope we can get more answers as the games goes on
fridtwolfe

Postby BeardLess » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:55 am

Why the heck was this in the main page? Plus wth Spoilers! Don't put that in the title!
BeardLess

Postby James London » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:05 pm

BeardLess wrote:Why the heck was this in the main page?

Well, where *Should* it be if not there? This is generally the dumping ground for everything pertaining to a given episode, including spoilers. So, where else?

BeardLess wrote:Plus wth Spoilers! Don't put that in the title!

I do agree that might not have been handled the best.
James London

Return to Season One - Episode 3: "The Four Witnesses"