My favorite horror movie.

We love horror movies, books and games. Come in and share your personal gems.

My favorite horror movie.

Postby Zgroktar » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:13 pm

With the first historical thread on this forum( :D ), I will gonna talk about my favorite horror movie (technically a mini series, but never mind), which is an adaptation of Stephen King's novel ''The Storm of the Century''.
I personally dislike his work or adaptations, because, at some parts it is to vulgar and shallow for me to enjoy it, although he has his wonderful moments.

Considering this movie, I watched it from a very early age, so it is probably that my inner child gives it a little more credit than it deserves, but regardless it is still a movie I will always enjoy. What I love about it is the focus on the characters, and especially on the relationships between the protagonist and antagonist (hero vs anti-hero) and the rest of the island that acts like a mob (mob mentality). It did something that I adore in horrors, it has shown that despite the otherworldly horrors which taunts us, terrifies us, and utterly destroys us, it is still that the human element is the most vile and despicable. The way which the daemon Linoge deceived the mob of the island using their hidden sins and weaknesses, and ultimately the protagonist, a true hero in heart and soul who knew the right things to do, and eventually understood the whole picture I consider profound.

I will not dwell much on the other aspects of the plot, but just wanted to share my strongest emotions I have about the ''The Storm Of The Century''. What is your favorite horror? Do you agree on my views for this one? We can talk both :)
Last edited by Zgroktar on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zgroktar

Re: My favorite horror movie.

Postby tgk_enrique » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:13 am

Oh! I didn't know that movie, I'll check it out! :) Thank you!

Some of my favourite horror movies are:
-The Changeling
-Psycho
-The Orphanage
-Mulholland Drive
-Island Empire
-The Night of the Hunter
-Alien
-The Shining

Actually, some of them don't belong to the horror genre, but they creep me out anyway :o
tgk_enrique

I can't pick one

Postby RHCooper » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm

I have eclectic taste as everyone on this board will soon learn:
DUST DEVIL: This intense, alarmingly suspenseful paced thriller takes place in Africa and is both visually amazing and intensely scary.

FUNNY MAN: Over the top, grotesque, ridiculous and overtly funny as the title suggests. A creepy hobgoblin Jester tortures and hunts people throughout a mansion.

LORD OF ILLUSIONS: Clive Barker's story of cults, illusion, mystery and true magic is always watchable.

THE FRIGHTENERS: Peter Jackson's mildly comedic look at man who can see ghosts who must stop a serial killer mystery that has connections to his past.

NEAR DARK: Possibly the best vampire film ever. Before she became an academy award modern war film master Kathyrn Bigelow tackled the myth in amazing ways.

BAD DREAMS: Is it a horror? Or is it all in their mind? Cults, suicide, mental illness, the danger of prescription pills, sexual abuse and more all get tackled in this practically closed room murder mystery.
RHCooper

Postby Zgroktar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:36 pm

I must admit, I didn't watch more than half of the films you've named(except for classics like Psycho, Alien, The Shining (although I didn't watch that one for a long time)), guess I have to acquire them.
I will try to remember any more awesome movie and then I will post it here.
Zgroktar

Postby thad » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:01 pm

For me, horror movies need to have a great atmosphere... which is largely lacking in American horror movie, so I do prefer foreign horror movies. And most American horror movies end up being just slasher flicks.

So Juon (the original Japanese version of The Grudge) is my all time favourite. Perfect atmosphere, made me glad I had left a light on upstairs.

Also the original [REC] is far better than Quarantine will ever be.

Mirrors (with Keifer Sutherland) is a good American horror movie, very high on the atmosphere scale... although I see it's based on a foreign (Korean IIRC) film I haven't seen.
Cheers!
thad

Postby Zgroktar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Old American movies have a quite decent atmosphere, but it is a different kind of feeling, emotion and atmosphere than European or Asian horror movies, it all depends which one prefers more.

It probably one of reasons why American remakes of foreign movies mostly reek big time, failing to capture the original atmosphere in which the original could only thrive, or forcibly trying to ''americanize'' it.

And of course it has also lot to do with to make it more reachable for the general public.
Zgroktar

Postby Grego » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:11 pm

OK i have recently come from the cinema where i watched "The Conjuring" WOW that is a horror movie I higly reccomend it i shouted in at least 6 parts you wont regret it, go to the cinema now!!!! :D :lol: :twisted:
Grego

I got a few.

Postby Dinkey » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:18 am

As for the movie that affected me the most, it was probably The Evil Dead 2. I had known about it before, but I knew my parents wouldn't let me watch it. I mean, I was only 10. So I actually stayed up late one night and found it on the internet. I watched it all the way through and it totally blew me away. I didn't think that directors were even allowed to do that stuff. But I had come at it from a filmmakers perspective, so it didn't really scare me as much. I was more into the special effects.

Probably the scariest movie I've seen so far is the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It doesn't have a lot of visual terror, but the film wiggles it's way into your brain and just makes you go crazy with the characters. The dinner scene especially really got my skin crawling. Definitely in my top.

Also, for a nice fun movie, look into Cabin In The Woods. I was pleasantly surprised by Joss Whedon's work and it really does hold it's own as a horror movie, in my opinion. The effects are pretty, and the story is genuinely engaging. It's got a nice balance of comedy, and actors who know what they're doing. It's good for popcorn.
Dinkey

Postby janelee2015 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Its really hard to pick a favorite horror movie as i am a massive fan of genre. As cliche as it has become "The Shining" is my all time favorite horror movie. The plot and setting is awesome and the acting is next to none.
janelee2015

Postby Alexshvd » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:42 pm

The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Alexshvd

Return to Mystery & Horror