What do you think "Malum in se (Evil in itself)" means?

All about the Second Chapter of The Last Door. Reveal secrets, ask for hints, or share any topic relevant to the chapter you may have found elsewhere.

What do you think "Malum in se (Evil in itself)" means?

Postby test-fa0 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm part of a group of community translators translating the Japanese version of this game.

I would like to know what you think the phrase "Malum in se (Evil in itself)" in this chapter is alluding to.
I would love to hear what you thought it was talking about and how it made you feel.
test-fa0

Re: What do you think "Malum in se (Evil in itself)" means?

Postby Jack Stanley » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:35 pm

By injecting the serum and crossing over through the veil to the other side, they looked into the eye of the Simurgh, the Bird King, who himself is only the underling of another, more ancient, unspeakable and pure evil: Zha'ilathal. By returning to the normal world, fragments of the Bird King's own being remained deep within each of those who dared to cross over into the other world, enabling him from then on to project its evil will upon those poor souls. This becomes apparent in Chapter One, when the crows suddenly appear on mass in the gramophone room, and later when Devitt finds Beechworth in the attic.

Beechworth and Du Pré eventually realised what kind of evil they evoked, what kind of evil they might have opened a gate into the normal world to flood it with terror and despair. Beechworth couldn't live with what he had done, Du Pré was driven to insanity.

Therefore, 'malum in se' could be translated as both 'the evil within' (as in 'the evil that lurks inside') and 'evil by itself' (as in 'the pure and absolute evil').
Jack Stanley

Postby Jack Stanley » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Nobody wants to comment on my crazy theory? What a pity!
Jack Stanley

Postby roguedragon » Thu May 14, 2015 8:30 am

test-fa0 wrote:I'm part of a group of community translators translating the Japanese version of this game.

I would like to know what you think the phrase "Malum in se (Evil in itself)" in this chapter is alluding to.
I would love to hear what you thought it was talking about and how it made you feel.

Malum in se for one thing is a legel term differing an act witch is evil in itself and an act witch is wrong because the law says so, for example lets take rape, you'd be hard pressed to find a human being that thinks that rape in any circumstance is OK, even rapist themselves often times think what they did/do is wrong, however, driving faster then the speed limet has nothing inherently evil about it but the law says it's illegel so it's considered wrong by sociaty.

So what is the phrase Malum In Se refering to in the game... obviously some primal sin against nature and or humankind... perhaps even against god himself... and that kinda thing... gets really really dark really quick
Last edited by roguedragon on Thu May 14, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roguedragon

Postby roguedragon » Thu May 14, 2015 8:34 am

Jack Stanley wrote:Nobody wants to comment on my crazy theory? What a pity!

I like it... but I'd like it even more if the writer took us even darker, after all I don't want the bad guy to be the bad guy simply because he is, want to see him or at least hear some of the horrible deeds he's done
roguedragon

Postby roguedragon » Thu May 14, 2015 8:38 am

It's probably in referance to the Monsigner... I forget his name, perverting his faith and the gravedigger... Baldwin I think mutilating corpses and murdering patients and commiting acts of necrophilia... as well as the dark occult practices that are being done.. probably a few more things we don't know about yet too
roguedragon

Postby Meej » Fri May 22, 2015 7:42 am

English is my mother tongue, I speak (and played the game in) Spanish and I also studied law.
The first thing that came to mind for me was the legal term (malum in se v. malum prohibitum) which I thought was sort of funny.
That's probably not the first thing most players think of and I'm sure that's not the primary meaning we're supposed to get from the words.

So loosely it means "Evil/bad/wrong in and of itself" "Evil/bad by its very nature"
I thought it refers to the palpable, dark presence that different characters perceive in the game (like the eye of the crow, the "guest" that led the husband and wife in Episode 1 to kill themselves). It makes me think of the quote "stare long enough into the abyss and the abyss stares back."

I go for this explanation rather than one referring to any specific crime/sin committed by any of the characters.
Meej

Return to Season One - Episode 2: “Memories"