The dying crow

All about the Pilot Chapter of The Last Door. Reveal secrets, ask for hints, or share any topic relevant to the chapter you may have found elsewhere.

The dying crow

Postby Kelmem » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:07 pm

I was reading some reviews of the game and one thing that people say is "why someone would take a dying crow when he don't see a purpose on walking around a mansion with it in his pocket"

Gamespot gave a good 7 to the game, but in the review the editor said:
"At one point, you end up carrying a dying crow around, and although what you ultimately do with that crow has a sort of old-fashioned adventure game logic, it makes no sense that your character would do it, since he couldn't possibly foresee the beneficial result that it brings about. It's unfortunate that the puzzles you encounter aren't always more believably grounded in the game's haunting narrative."

I don't know if you guys are still making changes to the first chapter, but a solution to this would be that Devitt just take the crow after he sees that he can call the cat with it. We see in the notes that the cat is smart and come to eat when the window is opened, so Devitt must think something about feeding the cat with the crow (weird).

So he can take the crow and bring it here cos he have a purpose...
And if he tries to take the crow before this, he can say something like "I don't see why I should take a dying crow around"
Kelmem

Re: The dying crow

Postby Tigzzz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:43 pm

That's an interesting point... I certainly didn't really see the point of picking up the crow, and I thought it was a little strange that it should be picked up in the first place. It occurred to me that it could be there just to frighten you, as the noises it made were really creepy!! To be honest, it was an accident that I managed to put the crow in the bowl anyway, and I didn't figure out what the point was until it was eaten ^^;
~The Girl Behind the Hat~
Tigzzz

Postby Cystennin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:52 pm

... a solution to this would be that Devitt just take the crow after he sees that he can call the cat with it.

I really do not approve of this. You see, when I click the object and my character clearly states he has no use for it, in my mind the object is branded as not available for picking up. Changing this "attribute" as the game goes on is what some adventures do, but also something that I personally never liked. To me it is kind of misleading.

As for this particular instance of crow gathering, I've read the servant's diary before I found and applied the grammophone record, so I already had a plan of feeding the cat when I picked the crow up.
Cystennin

Postby Lems » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:47 am

It really bothered me that you just let the crow die, the first time i played the first chapter, i spent ages trying to figure out how to save it.
I though the 'days old leftovers' were gonna be for the cat, because if the crow's dying of poison, I figured, why'd we want to posion the cat?
It's really sad guys. I feel really bad for just letting the crow die.
Lems

Postby UserName_1703 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:09 pm

I gotta disagree with the reviewer that it makes no sense to pick up the crow, if you read the cat owners diary she explicitly states that Anthony's bizarre behavior included making her get rid of her cat as if he was afraid of it, and that she took steps to keep the cat around indicating that there is something special about the cat also you see the hole in the wall that is the cats hidy-hole, plus in Anthony's own diary he is livid about the cat and promises to cut out it's eyes, so the player should figure out that there is something important about the cat and that you need to find it, Cat's love to eat birds, so it's not a stretch of the imagination to present the bird to the cat. I do agree that real world wise it wouldn't make much sense for the player to pick up the bird if he had not read those Diaries yet but you run the risk of players finding the crow and not being able to pick it up figuring oh well guess I can't use this and then getting stumped, so I think it makes enough sense that it's fine.
UserName_1703

Postby syl » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:40 am

I got stuck at the crow for ages until I checked this forum, so I have to agree its not that clear what to do with it. I even had already tried the hammer at the wall. And also the dying crow sounds creepy so I wanted to get rid of it fast :(
syl

Postby Liam1980 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:37 am

Personally I'd prefer it if my character would just agree with what I want him to do if it's something he'll do later anyway, i.e. in this case hammer down the wall without waiting for the cat to get stuck there. I realise of course that it adds to the game if there are more things to do, but I like it to be necessary on a practical level rather than just to persuade the character that an action is appropriate. Also, while I appreciate the whole dark/horror vibe, feeding a dying crow to a cat is a little gross to me even if I found it logical enough.
Liam1980

Postby impalawetrust » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:49 am

I don't really have much to say except for the fact that THE NOISE THAT THE CROW MAKES GIVES ME A HEADACHE I HATE IT SO MUCH UGH
impalawetrust

Postby Genevieve » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:59 pm

When I first played Chapter 1 on this website, I figured (through the diary entry) that I was supposed to use this poor crow as cat food. But first I wanted to put it out of its misery... I tried everything I could think of, before I finally gave up and thought "well little guy, I'm sorry but I suppose you'll have to wait for the cat to end your misery..."

But now I bought The Last Door Collector's Edition, which has a Extras section with Achievements. And there I discovered there *must* be a way to 'help' the crow! :o There is an achievement called "Better served silent" and you can fullfill this achievement if you "End the poor bird's suffering." :idea:

Oooh can somebody of the developers please provide a hint? Or maybe the players have found the solution, can you please share it?

Thanks for any help!
Genevieve

Postby Jack Stanley » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Genevieve wrote:But now I bought The Last Door Collector's Edition, which has a Extras section with Achievements. And there I discovered there *must* be a way to 'help' the crow! :o There is an achievement called "Better served silent" and you can fullfill this achievement if you "End the poor bird's suffering." :idea:

Oooh can somebody of the developers please provide a hint? Or maybe the players have found the solution, can you please share it?

Thanks for any help!

As I haven't bought TLDCE (yet), I cannot be dead certain about this, but... maybe it could work with the hammer that you should have by then.
Jack Stanley

Next

Return to Season One - Episode 1: “The Letter”